Server Running Costs & More

Server Running Costs & More

Postby Connolly » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi,

I'm new here.
I've had difficulty finding an active, vanilla, allows grief/no-hand-holding, low latency server.
This server appears to meet all my requirements, so I'm interested in staying.

I have some questions about the server, specifically about its running costs, but I'm also interested in more than that.

1. How much is the fee monthly?
2. How much is donated currently a month?
3. Who is the infrastructure provider?
4. Where is the datacenter based? (resolving host gives me a west coast USA based IP, but I've heard new york in-game)
5. Server specs?
6. Is PVP.VNLLA.ORG and VNLLA.ORG run on separate servers, if so, what are the differences between them in terms of cost, specs etc.

You guys state all donations go straight to running costs, so if the above was made more transparent, I think it would encourage people to donate more.
I.e. "We need $X to buy this CPU/RAM/More Bandwidth and kill lag" etc.

Apologies for all the questions in advance, and if this is on the main webpage somewhere, please point me there instead.

Thanks!
Connolly

Re: Server Running Costs & More

Postby dlk1100 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Jehebus
dlk1100

Postby Elbosso24 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Can we expect questions like these on a frequent basis?
Elbosso24

Postby SnowProper » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:55 pm

1. How much is the fee monthly?
The monthly fee for both servers comes to about $330.00

The donation system is very new, so I do not have any information about what can be expected each month, especially when donations are new you tend to have larger donations of people who waited a while to help contribute. We have had a couple of donations of $100, but in the end, we get about $150-$175 per month right now.

The survival server is through opnodes, and the pvp server through ovh.

4. Where is the datacenter based? (resolving host gives me a west coast USA based IP, but I've heard new york in-game)
They are both in New York City I believe, at least the survival server is for sure.

5. Server specs?
https://www.opnodes.com/overclocked-servers/
On the opnodes we also went and purchaed 1tb of HDD memory and have the 500Gb of SSD memory, that way we do not run out again in the future.
https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/

6. Is PVP.VNLLA.ORG and VNLLA.ORG run on separate servers, if so, what are the differences between them in terms of cost, specs etc.
They are on separate servers, and as you can see from the specs the survival server is going to be more powerful here shortly. We are currently still on OVH with the both servers, but we have already purchased and are set/ ready to move the survival server to opnodes. We just need Paul's help to move it over. Until that happens we are actually paying for 3 servers, 2 OVH MC-32 hosts and the 1 from opnodes.

We are really not 100% sure the impact that moving the survival host over will have on the server, however, we decided to go with that one because another owner had told us it was what he was running and was rather satisfied with it. There is almost no way to get rid of all of the Vanilla lag, but overall, this should help a lot. We are hopeful of this much.

We will NEVER make a post on the forum or website telling the community that we MUST have donations to be able to continue the servers. If it comes down to it, we might end up having to move back to the OVH hosting if we cannot cover the costs of survival, or get rid of the PVP server off of the bill. I will make no secret that things are hard for fate and I right now, as he has recently moved and I am looking for another job. But, we choose to make these decisions for the server on our own accords. So, there will NEVER be a time that we try to pressure the community into donating to Vnlla. It is just not the people we are.

I hope this helped answer some of your questions. and I will put it on the top as an announcement so people can see it in the future. As to not get lost in the shuffle of a forum.
*Insert failed attempt at a Photographic Signature here"
SnowProper

Postby dlk1100 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Jesus bosso why did you give that guy shit, apparently he's top-of-the-forum lit.
dlk1100

Postby Connolly » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:24 pm

AproposoftheSnow wrote:1. How much is the fee monthly?
The monthly fee for both servers comes to about $330.00

The donation system is very new, so I do not have any information about what can be expected each month, especially when donations are new you tend to have larger donations of people who waited a while to help contribute. We have had a couple of donations of $100, but in the end, we get about $150-$175 per month right now.

The survival server is through opnodes, and the pvp server through ovh.

They are both in New York City I believe, at least the survival server is for sure.

5. Server specs?
https://www.opnodes.com/overclocked-servers/
On the opnodes we also went and purchaed 1tb of HDD memory and have the 500Gb of SSD memory, that way we do not run out again in the future.
https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/

They are on separate servers, and as you can see from the specs the survival server is going to be more powerful here shortly. We are currently still on OVH with the both servers, but we have already purchased and are set/ ready to move the survival server to opnodes. We just need Paul's help to move it over. Until that happens we are actually paying for 3 servers, 2 OVH MC-32 hosts and the 1 from opnodes.

We are really not 100% sure the impact that moving the survival host over will have on the server, however, we decided to go with that one because another owner had told us it was what he was running and was rather satisfied with it. There is almost no way to get rid of all of the Vanilla lag, but overall, this should help a lot. We are hopeful of this much.

We will NEVER make a post on the forum or website telling the community that we MUST have donations to be able to continue the servers. If it comes down to it, we might end up having to move back to the OVH hosting if we cannot cover the costs of survival, or get rid of the PVP server off of the bill. I will make no secret that things are hard for fate and I right now, as he has recently moved and I am looking for another job. But, we choose to make these decisions for the server on our own accords. So, there will NEVER be a time that we try to pressure the community into donating to Vnlla. It is just not the people we are.

I hope this helped answer some of your questions. and I will put it on the top as an announcement so people can see it in the future. As to not get lost in the shuffle of a forum.

Thank you for answering my many questions, I realise this may have been somewhat forward, but I think the answers are valuable.
I'm glad you guys are transparent about these topics, as it increases trust in staff for obvious reasons.

On a personal note I was very interested in the survival hosted DC, as I've seen reduced latency on other servers when I utilize a VPN server based in the geo datacenter of the MC server (I'm based in Europe).
Not that the lag is quite an issue currently, as the server is still very playable, even during peak periods for me at least.

If you folks ever need a brain to pick on a server technical issue that may not be MC application level config related, I would be happy to give an opinion. (its something I do full-time)
Connolly

Postby gilbertboys » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Speaking of server specs, The lag might be getting a little heavy, Can we please get some anti lag plug-ins? No one would even notice if the admins didn't tell us
gilbertboys

Postby SnowProper » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 am

to run a plugin we would have to base it to spigot, which would be obvious to everyone as they try to sign on and instead of minecraft 1.12.1 jar it says spigot 1.12.1 jar. and also, we arent shady like that :P

if we could afford a better host, we would just update to it. but relying on donations as is, is very hard to do that. as they fluctuate very often.
*Insert failed attempt at a Photographic Signature here"
SnowProper

Postby dragonslayer536 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I know a great server host and very inexpensive. I paid 47.00 quarterly and it could run lag free with 40+ players. 10/10 customer service. Really great. Ramshard server hosting is the name of them. Look them up, it’s worth it.
dragonslayer536

Return to General